One of the most popular courses in the field of Pharmacy education is Bachelor of Pharmacy (B.Pharma). B.Pharma is an undergraduate course and has duration of four years. It is based on semester format and has about 6 to 8 semesters. This course educates the student about the preparation process of different drugs and also provides knowledge about the dispensation of drugs. It is the most sought-after course for anyone who wants to make a career as a pharmacist and is interested in gaining knowledge about Medical Science.
The course work of the B. Pharma program is based on theoretical as well as practical aspects. The semesters are divided in a way that the students are able to gain adequate practical knowledge. Students perform many experiments and gain in-depth knowledge about healthcare sector and biochemical science.
All rules and regulations related to B.Pharma are laid down by the Pharmacy Council of India (PCI). This program has a wide scope and in the near future it will equip the healthcare professionals in finding solutions for many deficiencies and diseases. After completing this course the students are eligible to practice as a Pharmacist. It is one of the few courses that offer a job-oriented program after completing the 12th standard. Students can build their careers in the public as well as the private sector after completing this program.
Students that are interested in pursuing the B. Pharma program should meet the following qualifying criteria:
• Students should have studied Mathematics, Physics, Chemistry and Biology in the Class 12th standard.
• Students should have qualified their 12th standardexamination from a recognised board with minimum of 50% marks.
• Once these two criteria are met, then the student gets admission based on either the merit score or he/she has to qualify the B. Pharma entrance examination.
Candidates should be vigilant in following these requirements and should apply in all the top Universities and Institutes that offer the B. Pharma course.
• This course is suitable for students interested in making a career in the pharmaceutical sector.
• This course offers a great scope for students who want to help others and are interested in working in nursing homes, hospitals, clinics, etc.
• Students who want to study and work abroad can apply for the B. Pharma course offered by many international universities.
• The course offers many avenues for students interested in scientific writing and clinical studies.
There are many reasons for pursuing the B. Pharma degree course. It gives the students a platform to build their career in professions like, Scientific Writer, Clinical Researcher, Medical Representative, Medical Script Writer, etc. In addition, students have the opportunity to build their career by availing these job options that the course offers:
• Government Jobs: Students have the opportunity to pursue their career in government hospitals and agencies post completion of their B.Pharma course.
• Work with Patients: B. Pharma degree holders can offer their services in the healthcare sector in the areas like diabetes, disease management, asthma care, bone density scans, cholesterol testing, etc.
• Wide Range Career Options: Pharmacists are most likely to work in retail pharmacy in a Community Centre or Healthcare Facility. Pharmacists can assist the patients by providing their services in areas liken counselling, over-the counter drug, prescription drugs, etc.
• Stable Career: A career in Pharmacy is considered as stable and long-term. B. Pharma students can choose different areas of work as per their preference.
• Work in the Indian Army: With the knowledge of pharmacy, the students also have the scope of working with the Indian Army. B. Pharma graduates who are physically fit can qualify for army recruitment. Some positions that B. Pharma students can apply for are Sepoy Pharma, Soldier Pharma or Army Medical Corps.
Colleges have different entrance exams for admission of new students in the B. Pharma program. Each college has a different cut-off score as well. Apart from the college entrance exams below mentioned is the list of popular entrance exams for the B. Pharma course:
• UPSEE: Uttar Pradesh State Entrance Examination
• GITAM GAT: GITAM Admission Test
• AP EAMCET: Andhra Pradesh Engineering Agriculture and Medical Common Entrance Test
• PUCET: Punjab University Common Entrance Test
• BITSAT: Birla Institute of Technology and Science Admission Test
• NEET-UG: National Eligibility Cum Entrance Test (Undergraduate)
• MAH AAC CET: Maharashtra AAC Common Entrance Test
• TS EAMCET: Telangana State Engineering Agriculture and Medical Common Entrance Test
Colleges have different entrance exams for the admission of new students in the B. Pharma program. Each college has a different cut-off score as well. Apart from the college entrance exams here is the list of popular entrance exams for the B. Pharma course. Pharmacy fresher can expect the salary to be between Rs. 10,000 to Rs. 18,000 per month. Pharmacy professional with experience can earn somewhere between Rs. 9 to 12 Lakh per annum. Pharmacy professional working outside India can expect the salary to be around $15000 to $25000 per annum.
A B. Pharma graduate has scope in several career fields. The potential career options for B. Pharma students are as follows:
• Hospital Drug Coordinator
• Health Inspector
• Bio-Technology Industries
• Research & Development
• Chemical/Drug Technician
• Pathological Lab
• Drug Therapist
• Making Prescriptions to Patients
• Drug Inspector
• Research Officer
With a B. Pharma degree, the candidate has the placement options with national and international recruiters in the Pharmaceutical sector. The following table offers the list of top Indian and International Pharmaceutical companies.