Paramedical Courses: Career Scope and Prominent Courses
The economy of a country greatly depends on a sound and efficient health care system. The medical industry has gone through a lot of changes in the last decade and as a result, the demand for health care professionals like doctors and paramedics has dramatically increased. Paramedics are medical professionals that assist doctors in terms of performing technical roles and also in dealing with emergencies.
Professionals like therapists, physicians, pharmacologists and nurses are known as ‘allied health forces’. These paramedics provide assistance to the doctors in treating wounds, running lab tests, taking blood samples, etc. Job opportunities for paramedics are rising both within India and abroad. Students interested in becoming a Paramedic can select from the different job oriented paramedical courses and programs offered by various domestic and international institutions. Paramedical sciences are suitable for students who are willing to devote their life to serving the health sector. Paramedical courses offer lucrative salary options, high employability, wide industry scope and future growth options to the candidates.
Scope of Paramedical Field as a Career
The pandemic has shaken up the healthcare sector which has increased the demand for qualified healthcare professionals.
Paramedical field offers profitable growth opportunities in the health industry.
There are endless job opportunities within India and abroad in the ever expanding healthcare industry.
Paramedical courses are career focused courses that help the student in becoming trained professionals.
There are many certificate and diploma courses that help the students in gaining expertise in a small time period.
India as a country is understaffed in several medical fields; hence paramedical courses can offer high paying job opportunities to the learners.
It is one of the best career fields for people who wish to help others and make a difference in their life.
It is not a monotonous job as every patient is different. Life of a paramedic is highly challenging yet rewarding.
Prominent Courses in the Paramedical Field
- Bachelor of Pharmacy (B. Pharma): B. Pharm course is related to the Pharmacy field and is of 4 years duration. It is suitable for the candidates who are interested in becoming a pharmacist and have passed class 12th examinations. The course focuses on different subjects like Pharmaceutical Science, Medicinal Chemistry, Industrial Pharmacy, Drugs & Medicine, etc. It gives an understanding of how different medicines impact human anatomy.
- B. Sc. Nursing: It is a 4 year course and can be applied for, after passing 12th standard with Biology. Students have to qualify the NEET exam in order to get admission in B. Sc. nursing. The course includes subjects like Biochemistry, Anatomy, Psychology, Physiology, Nutrition, etc. It focuses around nursing and treating the wounds as well as illness of the patients.
- Diploma in Pharmacy: Diploma in Pharmacy is a career focused 2 year course. After completing the diploma, candidates can pursue a career under a licensed pharmacist in pharmacies or hospitals. Minimum qualification for this diploma is 10+2.
- Diploma in Auxiliary Nursing and Midwifery (ANM): The duration of this entry level course varies from institution to institution and can be pursued after class 12th. This course trains the candidate to become a medical professional and primarily focuses on maternity care and giving medical assistance to families. This course covers subjects like Anatomy, Sociology, First Aid, Microbiology, Biological Science, Behavioural Science, Fundamentals of Nursing, Physiology, etc.
- General Nursing and Midwifery (GNM): This course can be pursued after class 12th from Science side and has duration of 3.5 years. This course is considered as a stepping stone for people interested in making a career in the nursing field. After graduation the candidates can start their career in government or private health centres and clinics.
- Bachelor in Naturopathy and Yogic Sciences (BNYS): BNYS is an undergraduate degree that can be pursued by students from Biology background. The degree focuses on use of Naturopathy and Yogic practices for treatment of body ailments. Naturopathy is based on the principles of alternate medicine and does not favour the use of drugs for treatment of diseases. Yoga teachings focus on meditation, breathing techniques and yoga poses for solving health related issues.
- Bachelor of Ayurvedic Medicine and Surgery (BAMS): This is an undergraduate level degree that trains the students in the ancient field of Ayurveda. Admissions in all graduate and post graduate courses are monitored by the Central Council of Indian Medicine (CCIM). The duration of the course is 5.5 years and focuses on subjects like Maulik Siddhant Avum Ashtang Hridaya, Padartha Vigyan And Ayurved Itihas, Rachana Sharir, Dravyaguna Vigyan, Charak Samhita, human anatomy, Rasashastra, etc.
- Medical Laboratory technology (MLT): Bachelor of Science in Medical Laboratory Technology is a UG level course and spans over 3 years (6 semesters). This course offers education and training in different areas of health care. Here the students are trained to perform tests and analysis related to body fluids. The diagnostic test related to haematology, immunologic studies, bacteriology, chemical and microscopic studies are explained to the students.